Getting your family (especially your kids) to eat healthy is not always the easiest thing to do but is a very important thing to do since their young brains are still forming. Here is a great recipe that I think everyone will enjoy (leave out the tequila if you are serving children) during this great barbecue season!
Peaches have 3 grams of fiber and are high in Vitamins A and C. One ounce of mozzarella contains niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, biotin and vitamin B6. Because these are water-soluble vitamins, the body does not store them, so eating mozzarella cheese satisfies an immediate nutritional need. They are important to maintain healthy skin and vision and the formation of red blood cells. Mozzarella also contains fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D and E, which are important for bone growth, absorption of calcium and protection of cell membranes.
- 5 peaches (not white)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tequila (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 (6-oz.) package watercress or baby arugula, thoroughly washed
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 16 (1/4-inch) slices
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs
PREP: 4 Servings
1. Peel and chop 1 peach. Cut remaining 4 peaches into 28 (1/4-inch-thick) rounds, cutting through stem and bottom ends. (Cut peaches inward from sides, cutting each side just until you reach the pit. Discard pits.)
2. Process chopped peach, green onions, next 7 ingredients, and, if desired, tequila in a food processor 10 to 15 seconds or until smooth. Add oil, and pulse 3 to 4 times or until thoroughly combined.
3. Coat cold cooking grate of grill with cooking spray, and place on grill. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high). Brush both sides of peach rounds with 1/3 cup peach dressing.
4. Grill peach rounds, covered with grill lid, over 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear.
5. Arrange watercress evenly on 4 plates. Alternately layer 4 grilled peach rounds and 4 cheese slices over watercress on each plate. Top each with 3 more peach rounds. Drizzle with remaining peach dressing. Garnish, if desired.